When it comes to personal injury law, understanding the concept of comparative negligence is essential. Comparative negligence is a legal doctrine that assigns responsibility for an injury to each party involved in the incident. This doctrine is used to determine the amount of damages that can be recovered in a personal injury case. In a personal injury case, the court will consider the degree of fault of each party involved in the incident.
The court will then assign a percentage of fault to each party. This percentage of fault is known as comparative negligence. The amount of damages that can be recovered in a personal injury case is then determined by the percentage of fault assigned to each party. For example, if a person is injured in an automobile accident and the court finds that both parties were at fault, the court may assign a percentage of fault to each party.
If one party is found to be 60% at fault and the other party is found to be 40% at fault, then the person who was found to be 60% at fault will only be able to recover 40% of the damages from the other party. It is important to note that not all states use comparative negligence when determining damages in a personal injury case. Some states use a different legal doctrine known as contributory negligence. Under this doctrine, if a person is found to be even slightly at fault for an injury, they are not allowed to recover any damages from the other party.
In addition, some states have adopted a modified version of comparative negligence known as pure comparative negligence. Under this doctrine, even if a person is found to be mostly at fault for an injury, they are still allowed to recover some damages from the other party. It is important for anyone who has been injured in an accident to understand how comparative negligence works in their state. An experienced personal injury attorney can help explain how comparative negligence affects your ability to recover damages in your case.
Understanding how comparative negligence works can help you make informed decisions about your case and maximize your chances of recovering the compensation you deserve for your injuries.